Morning folks. No bewitching post titles or aimless rambling today. Let’s get straight to business. Before I move on to anything Qatar related, I need to get this out of the way –
How to go about getting a resident permit for your spouse?
This will not be an all-inclusive, exhaustive checklist. Rather it will be a personal account of how things panned out for us, interspersed with snippets I uncovered during my research online and experiences shared by other expats. I make no claims of being an expert. If I have missed anything, do let me know. Share your experience. I will edit/ update the post if I feel I missed something.
Note to aspiring Qatar expat:-
- I’m sure some rules exist when it comes to approving visa applications but in my humble opinion they are no more than guidelines it seems like. Each family that we speak to seems to have a different experience.
- Though, strict rules do not apply- it’s probably safe to say that a minimum salary of 10,000 QAR is a basic requirement.
- The occupation stated on the visa of the sponser is paramount. I guess “carpenter” visa will not qualify even if he earns 20,000 QAR a month 🙂
- The process (if papers are in order) is usually fairly quick- a few days.
This is a timeline of how things went for us:-
- Submitted visa application in late June.
- Saw the dreaded words online after a week – Rejected!
- Visited immigration to find out what the matter was. Was told to meet the “captain”.
- Booked an appointment to meet captain. Appointment in second week of October.
- Spoke to Mr H’s company PRO, we did not want to wait another couple of months. Decided to reapply.
- Reapplied in early August. Visa granted in 4 days.
- Flew to Doha the next day. (September 27th )
- Passport copies of both the sponsor (in my case my husband), and spouse.
- Copy of sponsor’s RP page/ visa
- Copy of sponsor’s Qatar ID card
- Copy of marriage certificate (Original to be attested by the Ministry of External Affairs, Notary, Qatar embassy and also stamped at attestation centre in Doha).
- Employment/ Labour contract.
- Salary certificate
- NOC from company sponsor
- Rental/ lease contract to prove accommodation credentials
- 6 months bank statement
- Mr H’s degree certificate (to prove that he indeed is an engineer!)
You have to report to the medical commission within a week of entering Qatar. Medical commission formalities generally involve blood tests and a chest X- ray. But in my case, since I was pregnant at the time- things went down a different path.
- Reported to the Medical Commission on 2nd October. Paid 100 QAR for the tests.
- The place will be crowded (even with there being an entirely different section/ building for women) but the process is fairly systematic and the queues are well managed.
- The day I went they were “system problems” so it took some time. After blood drawing, I was asked to come the next day for a clinical exam as I was pregnant and hence would not get an X ray. The x ray is basically to clear you of TB.
- Went again the next day. Long queues again. Met an Arab physician. She asked me how far along I was. I was 4 months then. She noticed my Indian passport. Asked me if I ever had TB. I said no. She said it is better if I got an X ray, and since I was in the second trimester it would be “OK”! Hmmmm….I said thank you but no thanks! She tried to sell the whole X ray idea…. Told me it may take a long time if I go the “no X-ray’ route. Mr H and I decided that no one can scare us into getting an X ray that we did not want. I conveyed my decision to the doctor. She told me that “the committee” would review the matter and get back to us.
- We waited.
- Received a text message early next day. Was asked to go to the nurses station at medical commission the same day.
- I went. Met a nurse who was busy loading an ampoule. She asked me draw my top- sleeve and before I realized what was going on, administered the PPD on my forearm. It is also known as the tuberculin test or Mantoux test, it is done to assess exposure to the TB bacteria. Being a doctor myself, I knew what it meant , but was taken by surprise due to the abruptness with which it was administered. The poor lady who went in after me, came out looking petrified. Asked me if it will harm her baby. Poor thing. Anyways, had to go in again after 72 hours.
- Explaining the Tuberculin Test in detail and when it is considered positive or negative would take time. But note- it CAN BE POSITIVE even if you DON’T suffer from TB. Also, TB is endemic in India.
- Within 24 hours, I knew my test would be positive. I also knew that I did not suffer from active or latent TB. There is a good chance many of my Indian friends show a positive result on the Mantoux.
- When I went in after 72 hrs; they checked me, filled out a lot of papers and referred me to the TB clinic at Rumailah Hospital. I had to undergo further tests.
- Went to Rumailah Hospital. Had to register at the TB clinic. People were coughing all around me. I refrained from breathing! Jokes aside, I was ready to give up by this time. I was constantly nauseous and tired at the time and all this running from pillar to post did not help matters.
- After registration, we were given an appointment a few days later. Had to go in twice again, a week apart.
- First appointment involved blood tests (again!) and a sputum sample. Trouble was, I did not have any sputum to give. We had designated, enclosed areas where we could go in – cough to our heart’s content and spit. Hahahha… I had studied all this, but actually inducing cough and trying to make up the 2ml sample that was required was all very surreal.
- Went in again after a week (Eid holidays in between), and repeated the exercise. Then received another appointment to meet a “TB specialist” a week later.
- Met the “TB specialist”. He must have received my blood and sputum reports by then. He asked me a few routine questions. (Trying to elicit any symptoms of TB). He then told me I did not have TB! Big surprise that was!
- I had passed… Hoorraaaay…. Hmmmm… anyways he told me to go back to Medical Commission.
- Went back to Medical Commission. (God … I’m tired just typing all this. Lord knows how we managed to do this then. Strength cometh when you needeth I guess.) Received a sheet of printed paper. It congratulated me on my accomplishment and praised my untiring, relentless pursuit of the goal. Nope. It said I cleared the medical. Phew!
- From then on matters progressed fairly smoothly and surprisingly quickly. Even the lord above was tired of toying with us I guess.
- Headed to immigration services at Mesaimeer- got my fingerprinting done, the RP was stamped on my passport and I also received my Qatar ID card.
- RP for three years cost 960 QAR if I remember correctly.
- The whole process took about two months.
Of course, things would have been much, much simpler if I weren’t pregnant at the time. But simple is never fun my friends! Simple means there no stories to recount. No memories to recall. A simple life can be a boring one. So, looking back – I have no complaints. I hated it then though. One thing that helped during the whole episode was meeting another hapless soul in the situation. So that is the intention of this post- to give hope and courage to anyone having visa troubles… anywhere….lol! Things always have a way of working themselves out….
My wife is here on visit visa but her PPD came out positive. Referred to Rumaillah Hospital TB clinic and given 2 Sputum samples yesterday and got appointment after a week. Her visa is expiring on 18th December, 2019.Now I want to know How I can extend visa if it will continue like this. Do I have to pay penalty?
i got family visa approval from ministry,but i am feel very tension because my wife had some tb experience but now xray showing light scares but not visible properly.please advise how can we get medical fit certificate or we need to take any precautions.
i hope somebody can help us, my brother is under family visit visa he has some issue in the X-ray in MC, we are forwarded to Rumaillah Hospital, the PPd, auntiferon, Sputum test are negative. they requested a CT chest scan and they say there is something in there which they can not tell if it is active or not. now they requested a broncostcopy and the result is negative… the doctor diagnosis is ACTIVE PULMONARY TB on Radiological Basis, Non-infectious. we are advise to back to MC to Room 118 on 16th Nov 2016. Now my question is will the MC will give us extension for my brother’s family visit visa or they will send him home to finish the treatment there, the doctor just started given him medicine after 4 months of waiting. He arrived in Doha on 29th June 2016 its almost 5 months now. I am worried about the daily penalty, the doctor in MC and Ruamiallah says that they will not charge us because he is under treatment in Rumailah… in case the MC will give us extension, can my brother visa possible to transfer to work visa if he can find one? I hope somebody can give us response in this regards. thanking you alot.
Hello Dr. Jazna,
I have read this post several times(I remember at least 5), every time I read it, it gives me hope. I have had my Sputum test at Rumaila on 2nd October 2016. The appointment to see the doctor is 22nd Nov 2016. Possibly my tuberculin result was positive with 15 mm.
This time around I am nervous as my visa will expire on 13th Dec 2016.
Hope to hear.
God Bless u Doc. Keep up the good work
ohh and howz ur Baby?
I have done my medical on may 2016. Chest X-ray has been taken in different positions. After 4 days I got a call from my company PRO he told me to take re-medical. I went to hospital .Finally they given PPD injection & advised me come after 72 hours.They took my reading and marked “L” in medical form. Further advised to go for QFT test after 8weeks from PPD . Completed QFT test Aug 7th and went to collect report on 14th Aug .but two guts were waiting before me to collect there report ,they were asked to go immigration.On my turn im asked to go Rumaila hospital.Doctor plz reply….what is my status?myself and my family does have any past medical history abt TB.im vry tensed..plz someone tell me.wat will happen?
i too have abnormal xray. i had my ppd done yesterday and it looks like its going to be positive. what is the next step? how long is the whole process? i already have an rp but i am worried as i am applying for my lic as a gp and my temporary lic will expire on jan 2017.
Doctor in rumaillah said I have latent TB but assured me that I will be given medicine. She said the spot in my xray is “clinically insignificant” as it is very small, 2mm only. I am very worried as I will go back to MC on Monday. Please advise, is there any hope for me?
Do they treat latent TB for newcomers in Qatar? I have finished with Rumaillah and the doctor said I just need to take medicine for Latent TB as my PPD and QFT were positive. Smear and sputum culture are both negative. The spot they saw is very small,2mm only. I have been tense for the last 2 months.. please advise..
Can someone please help me or guide me with the problem which we are facing for applying RP.
My husband is in Qatar, He has all the documents as required, except for rental contract. My husband is studying with her sisters family in Qatar. The rental contract is in our brother in laws name, whereas the rental cheques are given by my husband. There are certain issues because of which we cannot get the rental contract transferred in my husbands name.
Can anyone please advice what can be done in this situation.?
Am back…. Reach me @50740940 Dhamodaram Padi
I want some help pls….Me suffering from Hepatities C, my husband wanna make sponsorship for me, is any problem with the medical tests bcs of this issue?
I want some help pls….Me suffering from Hepatities B, my husband wanna make sponsorship for me, is any problem with the medical tests bcs of this issue?
I have a question i hope someone can help…My husband wants to make sponsorship for me, but i have Hepatities C, is there a problem with my medical tests bcs. of this issue?
Urgent answer need it, thank you
My xraywas failed 3 times MC refer me to rumailah i already done PPD test then the result was 12mm.Am i possitive in TB?I do 2 spatuum test and blood test im scheduled to see the doctor on Feb 24 2016.If ever i have a TB do the MC will allow me to do finger print during my medication?Im under Family Visa
no it does not mean u have active TB. may be u have lost old history which is recovered. if it is not an active tb then they might give u some medication for 6 months. however it also depends on ur visa type and ur profession.
I have done my medical on 14th Jan 2016. Chest X-ray has been taken in different positions. After 4 days I got a call from my company PRO he told me to take re-medical. I went to hospital room no .118 they enquired me about my health history about TB I said no I was never attacked by TB (my self & and family members were never affected by TB). They given PPD injection & they advised me come after 72 hours the induration was 10-12mm. They took reading twice finally they marked “L” in medical form. Further advised to come after 3 days. And I went to hospital after 3 days. They advised me to go Room No. 63. The security persons has stopped me and told me that for going to Room No. 63 you have to come with your company PRO like that. Then I called my company PRO he said that go to work I will check & confirm you. The Same day evening I checked my result in online showing that I am “UNFIT”. I am very upset due to this issue. I again checked with my company PRO he told me that I am trying to give a letter to medical commission but they are not accepting tomorrow again will go like that. I don’t know what’s happening and not able to concentrate on my work. If anyone knows the procedure or what steps have to take next? What letter my company is trying give to medical commission? I have done my medical in India in Mid of Nov 2015 I was fit. After reaching doha I was suffering from Cough & Cold. Cough & cold was stopped just 2-3 days before from my medical in doha.
I have done my medical on 14th Jan 2016. Chest X-ray has been taken in different positions. After 4 days I got a call from my company PRO he told me to take re-medical. I went to hospital room no .118 they enquired me about my past health history about TB I said no I was never attacked by TB (my self & and family members were never affected by TB). Finally they given PPD injection & advised me come after 72 hours the induration was 10-12mm. They took my reading twice finally they marked “L” in medical form. Further advised to come after 3 days. And I went to hospital after 3 days. They advised me to go Room No. 63. The security persons has stopped me and told me that for going to Room No. 63 you have to come with your company PRO like that. Then I called my company PRO he said that go to work I will check & confirm you. The Same day evening I checked my result in online showing that I am “UNFIT”. I am very upset due to this issue. I again checked with my company PRO he told me that I am trying to give a letter to medical commission but they are not accepting tomorrow again i will go like that. I don’t know what’s happening and not able to concentrate on my work. If anyone knows the procedure or what steps have to take next? What letter my company is trying give to medical commission? I have done my medical in India in Mid of Nov 2015 I was fit.
After reaching doha I was suffering from Cough & Cold and it was stopped just 2-3 days before my medical in doha.
I wish I could give you some relevant info Mr Mani; but honestly in your case- I have no clue! I hope somebody else on this forum has some ideas…
I think ur company needs to issue a letter stating that you are required by d company and u r d only qualified guy for this position. and please consider this case for further evaluation.
Hi Folks. I had went for my medical tests in GAMCCA approved centre on London on 22 December 2015. Everything was alright results even stated I had no active TB though the chest x-ray detected something abnormal – minor linear atelectasis. And was referred to my GP.
My GP recommended I signed off as fit for work in Qatar and that another x-ray could be done after 4-6 weeks because I had a chest infection and was coughing during that time (it was cold in UK).
The UK based GAMCCA signed me off fit for work in Qatar.
On arrival in Qatar within a week, I went through another set of medicals through my employer’s private clinic and this was before my UK results even arrived in Qatar. They chest x-ray detected the same abnormality too.
After 2 weeks, 14 of January 2016 I went to the Medical Commission for a PPD test. I was asked to return to the Medical Commission on the 17th of January. My reading was 14mm but I had never suffered from TB. I was then ordered to return to the Medical Commission for QFT after 8 weeks exactly.
To my knowledge I never suffered from TB. I had a clear chest x-ray in September 2014.
What are my chances of obtaining RP after QFT? Will I be deported?
Thank you for reading my experiences.
Hello Mr samriddh! A reading of 14mm does in no way indicate/ confirm that your suffer from TB. You will have further tests, and most likely you will be in the clear, it will just take a while…
Pls I want an advise, I went to mc by 17/11/2015, to do my medical but on the 26th the call me back for another blood test, again third time they call me for blood test on 24th December but I went to the doctor after my test and ask him what is really happening,then he show me my two results,it was on Hiv. The first was reactive and second one was non reactive, the doctor said they have to conduct the third one to be sure of it, because the first one can be caused by antibody. But when my PRO went there for the third result, they said my paper has been sent to rumailah, am worried can someone time what is really going on. Pls I need a reply
Dear all: I finally got my RP and my company informed me that no medicines were required. They just wasted my time and health in between. The process took from may to November. I am happy that this is finished. For those who are just starting this bad trip have hope.
Oh Worried, congratulations friend. But why did the company say that you don’y have to take the medication? Just curious..
It was the committee´s decision but the communication was though my company.
Dear all: I have been told by my company that medicine treatment has been apoved but I must wait 3 months before I start the medication (and to proceed with the RP) Is that normal?
Hey its Kinya again. I went to MC took the letter and they gave me some docs to be signed by the doctor at Rumailla as I get the chemo… medicine, on arriving at Rumaillah, I was given an appointment of 13 october??? as in seriously this is torture, so hopefully i will get medicine on 13 oct, and take docs back to MC so that I can probably go for finger print.. unfortunatelly, my work visa expired in Aug, and I cant transact even sending cash back home,
by the way the ppd was positive but mantoux test was negative… i donno why i should get medicine.
hi doctor, please assit me…they told me my medical result is unfit becouse of lung scars which was resulted by pneumonia when I was very young please advise
I’m sorry to hear that Matthew. I wish I could give you some concrete info, unfortunately I cannot. correct me if I’m wrong, I thought your Medical Commission procedures were done.
The maiden wait is over.. hurray!. I went to Rumailla on 13, and was given the vaccine- as doc old me.. I am not sick. Just take the two tablets daily, one is vitamin other is isonziad..for six months(sad). I am to continue with finger print. got a covering letter from medical commission to offset any visa penalty for the overstay. but Alas! As we were completing the finger print form, we realized the profession visa was applied with cant allow me to do driving in qatar. my sponsor is out of the country, as the PRO advised me to exit qatar for four days as he prepares a new visa with manager profession to enable me acquire the driving license instead of cancelling the RP.. now my question?? Will I have to go through the tendentious medical process again?
hey hey hey,, its Kiinya again.
Long since i logged in here.Thanks all for your encouragement.. Doc. am happy.
I got my RP and ID at last. Now enjoying life in qatar.
As i told u earlier I was given a goahead to go for finger print after all tests, I didnt I went him to change the visa to a profession that I can do driving classes… To my surprise when I came back after a few days with my new visa, I was told I will have to do medical again.. I was so sad.noting that Latent , that I was diagnosed could show UNFIT status. I went through medical process normally…
GUESS WHAT? when the results came out I was FIT… I was so happy. the spots in xray before that made me take medicine were not found. however doc told me to continue taking medicine until i finish.
I am still taking and soon I will be through. I am happy to know I wasnt sick after all…
Dr at Rumailah has advised to take Rifinah 300/150 mg (2 nos) & Pyridoxin (Qty-1) daily for 4 months, given the appointment to see Dr after one month, have submitted the papers back to MC at R#118, MC has advised to go for finger print after 2 days.
Eventually milestone achieved…Thanks for advise..plus Damodaran was guiding me during the period regularly…
Finally Romal! Congratulations. And I’m sure you are glad the ordeal is over. All the very best and hope you enjoy your Qatar Expat Experience 🙂
Its Surya. Hope you are doing good. An important query regarding the medical now. As you might remember my case, Rumailah has advised to take precautionary medicines for the Latent TB, but routed me to go for Finger Printing back then. After that I have been issued RP.But i did not go to Medial center again, after a month, neither later. Will this affect in any possible way in future? It was my fault not consulting the Rumailah after i get the RP, thinking that it was not needed anymore. Now i suspect if i bring my wife, We might need to apply for Health Card for the Family, On that time, Will my Medical Records be obvious that i did not complete their process?? Will it backfire?? You have any idea??
My wife is here on visit visa but PPD positive and referred to rumaillah. She has given 2 sputum samples and got appointment for next week. Visa expiring on 18th Dec, 2019.How I can extend her visa if it will continue in the same way. Do I have to pay penalty?